Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Back in the Saddle

Yesterday I gushed about my future plans to cook again, and man, I was NOT kidding!

I may or may not have gone online for a good chunk of the day yesterday to read recipes. I printed some out and put a plan of action into place. No, I haven't exactly created a menu per day yet, but I have been logging a few recipes to try here and there.

So, last night's meal consisted of chicken breast lovingly smeared with olive oil, poultry seasoning (and not just your standard - I'll get to that), sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. I over cooked it a bit - okay, a lot because I wasn't paying attention. I was multi-tasking. Not a good idea. However, the side dishes were delicious and pretty standard. It was a good meal to get me up and running again.

Of course, I will tell you what I made for sides! First being asparagus, which a co-worker told me to turn the oven to 475 degrees, place the asparagus on a baking sheet, slather with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake until delicious!

My second side was rosemary potatoes cooked in the skillet. I usually bake them as well, but this tends to take some time and since I was multi-tasking while cooking I did not have time to spare. So, using some wonderfully sharp knives given to us as a gift at Christmas (don't worry, we also received another AMAZING set for our wedding) I sliced those potatoes just thin enough and threw them in with my standard olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground pepper and fresh rosemary (are we beginning to notice a theme in ingredients??).

I almost took a picture, but I ended up not doing it. Darn. I would have loved to show you because we have the Everyday White square plates from Bed Bath & Beyond and the presentation of the meal was BEAUTIFUL! Add a dinner roll and I almost cried at the sight of it!

Tomorrow, I will regale you with the tale of tonight's meal, which called for me getting up a little early to throw into the old crock pot! Yes, I changed the recipe as I said I would yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, I have not gone yet, but I was made aware of a store that only carries spices - in bulk. I was given a sample of the poultry spice and I must say that I can taste the difference. I will have a field trip to this store and let you know. My source - okay, my mom - says it's wonderful!

1 comment:

Brady said...

OMG. I love the phrase: "Bake until delicious." I will have to steal it:)