Thursday, May 1, 2008

I've gotten it backwards.

It's about this time every year that my boy-toy begins work and I kiss him goodbye until fall. I dread this time of the year because there are so many fun things to do when the weather is warm and outdoor activity is a must.

I nearly cried on Sunday evening when he was pulling out his work clothes and packing his breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next day's activities.

Yet, oddly enough, I have been the one that eats all three meals at work and he has been getting home around the time I used to leave.

I think I have confused my work hours for his and visa versa!

All this week I have been pouring myself over my work to make the deadline this morning at 8:15 so the founder of my company and his right-hand man could take many, many drawings of our proposed development and trail system to wow the builder, architect, and engineers.

Yesterday I arrived bright and early, only to stay for twelve straight hours without leaving the building.

The day before, I put in ten grueling hours.

The day before that, I put in nine and a half.

I am not opposed to going over my forty hours per week. Heck, we were told in school that when we joined a firm we would most likely continue our all-nighters until we had a reached the sublime status of a principle. Apparently, this is when you get your life back.

But, I don't work for a firm. I work for a company which operates on normal company hours and of the three of us working on this project, I have been the only one actually working on the project. Hence the insane hours.

I was very excited last night as I was sure that I would be able to rest easy for the remainder of this week. Unfortunately, the founder of the company wants to have final designs and estimates for the builders approval by next Thursday. Estimates for around 200 houses and a community park. Not to mention our top secret idea that must remain quiet until all of the hoop jumping has been accomplished and the builder presents it through their marketing campaign.

Goodbye summer! I'll daydream of you often from my dark corner office with no windows!

Well, I guess the old saying is right; I can sleep when I'm dead.

No comments: