Thursday, November 8, 2007

And Now Comes the Hair Pulling

I know I'm an impatient cow (moo), but I want someone to call me to set up an interview... NOW!

It's only been four days since everyone would have received my hiring persuasion packet and I know that it can take FOREVER for them to either get back to me or have a position open, but I'm at my wits end.

I received a meeting request from one of the higher uppers in my company and he would like to have lunch with the office manager and me to discuss my "future with the company". At first I thought for sure they had found out that I was looking for a new job, but then I read it again and in light of many of the changes that they would like to make for next year, I think they want to either give me a new job title and responsibilities or they are looking give me a promotion.

Seeing as they try not to pay anyone any more money than what they started out making, I doubt it will be a "promotion".

At the end of the little note attached to my luncheon request there was a post script telling me to please feel free to come down and ask any questions if I needed clarification.

So, I did.

Skeptical was I.

What did this mean? Was there something I needed to be prepared for?

As the questions raced through my brain, I went to the higher upper's office and asked just what to expect from this random meeting.

"Well, we are trying to find out how your year went and we wanted to validate some of the things we heard around the office. See, I always hear things second hand and I was hoping to get your validation on what has been going on. I know that you have worked with (a bumbling idiot) earlier in the year and I now know that you have started working with (Thing One) and (Thing Two). We just wanted to have your input before we make some changes".

Now I'm afraid they are making a hire/fire decision about the bumbling idiot and that what I say may be an influencing factor.

If this is true, I do not want to be responsible for the idiot's career demise.

Damn, I'm between a rock and a hard place.

So, this brings me to my earlier whining. Why hasn't anyone called me to get me out of here!?

2 comments:

Brady said...

Don't fret. These things, unfortunately, take time. You may feel better by following up with calls to potential employers. Make sure they got your packet. Emphasize that you're really interested in the company. I think the personal connection helps. In the mean time, is there any way you could do some networking?

Gidge said...

Thanks!!

I was planning on calling them all on Wednesday afternoon (as this is after a dreaded meeting about what my future is with my current company... I'm pretty sure my job title is changing).

I have a few friends who work for some of these firms, just in different states. The few that I have talked to have either given me a clue or two as to what I should be doing to catch the firm's eye or put in a good word for me.

I'm just impatient!