Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Please Interrupt Me

I don't know if this tends to happen in other offices, but it has begun to annoy me to no end in mine. I have noticed that if you are in a coworker's office having a convo (work related or not) people just tend to think it's okay to jump into the office and stand there staring at you and then take the first possible chance to cut in and ask a stupid question or tell a stupid story and then leave having completely disrupted the initial conversation.

I have begun to quit mid-sentence, look them straight in the eye and say, "Can I help you?" I had originally thought that this would make them uncomfortable and they would get the hint that they are being rude. WRONG. Instead, they usually reply, "Oh, I just wanted to tell so-and-so/you something" and then they continue with their stupid question or story.

Am I the only person that knows that you should only interrupt if it is an urgent matter and you should apologize profusely even then?

No comments: